I need to learn how to accept that it is OK to be afraid. I used to be OK with that, but since my daughter was born...Being afraid was not acceptable. I had to be the big, strong daddy. I ignored my fears and it led to a lot of what I went through over the past year and a half. I need to learn to accept my fears as valid and put them in proper perspective - it's the only way to remove the hold they have over me and get back to living a constructive life. Just one problem: How do you do that?
Once a week I am going to 'Face My Fear'. Here's what I plan on asking myself:
- What are your biggest fears right now?
- Consider each fear - is it valid and rational?
- Why are you afraid of this?
- Is this a fear you need to share with others?
- What is causing this fear to be so great?
I am hopeful that using these questions will help me work through what I am most afraid of over time and help me learn to accept my fears. Here goes...